Tuesday, July 26, 2011

SAHM - Day 1

From July 4th parade (their first! G, A, B) - WHO gives out POPSICLES on a 90 degree day???  It was a sticky mess :)
Well, I feel like today was my first day of being a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) even though my last day or work was 22 June.  Curt left for Doha on Sunday and Peggy is off of work on Mondays, so I still wasn't completely on my own until today.  All in all it went well.  We had our first skype call with daddy after breakfast, then we went to a park to play and have a snack, then we came home to get out of the heat and humidity (it's not Doha hot, but it was pretty uncomfortable) and yes, they watched Cars.  To be fair, while we were in CO last week for cousin Jeff's wedding, they pretty much begged all week to watch ANYTHING and they didn't get to.  We had some lunch, they took deliciously long naps, then after nap they played in the sprinkler until grandma K got home.  All in all a really good day. 

As I was watching the boys run around the backyard, i kept thinking "wow, I don't have anything else I need to be doing or thinking about right now.  For a change i'm not trying to think through an issue at work, or feeling like I have a dozen emails to respond to, or minutes to type up from a meeting.  I get to just sit here and giggle at my kids shreiking as they run through the sprinkler.  This is awesome."  Then I got up to "be a monster" and chase them around the yard.  Now, i'm sure not every day will be this idyllic or easy.  I may even get stir crazy, but the fact that it definitely felt manageable and FUN was great.  And it is true, the boys are SO well-behaved when it is just one person there.  No one to play against the other. :)

Some other highlights of the wedding trip.  The boys got to spend some quality time with cousins Jadyn, Noah and Gabe, we saw some cliff dwellings (i.e. several hundred year old kids climbing equipment), went to see the Royal Gorge (way awesome!), saw Tom and Kyndra and Jordan and Hutson, saw Claire and Mike and Jackson, Charlie and Henry and not only did we walk the kids through a small part of the Garden of the Gods, but Curt and I had a little date night there on his last night in the US.  We did a short challenging hike which was fun to see if we still had any fitness for hiking left in us, climbed some rocks and got to sit and talk until the sun set.  And the of course went to get some homemade ice cream! :)  Why would ANYONE go to a baskin robbins if there is homemade ice cream within driving distance?  I mean really.

PS I apologize for there being no rhyme or reason with pics on this post.  It's being cranky and I wanted to get these up sooner rather than later. :)

Brady and Jadyn

Jadyn and Aidan at her b-day celebration

B, G, A and Hutson and Jordan Wilson and Tom & Kyndra's in CSprings - too fun!


A,G,B and Henry, Charlie and Jackson with mom and Claire in CSprings

Garden of the Gods the day dad had to fly back to Doha.  Brady wasn't very happy (B, A, G)

Gavin gets a good snuggle before dad has to leave

Aidan and Gavin were being so cute at dinner one night holding each others' hands.  Melts my heart . ..

Brady with Uncle Chad on the Royal Gorge incline railway - i think he's having fun, don't you? :)
In other news, Aidan's been cleared to go without his sling as of yesterday.  The Dr. said the bump that is scar tissue around the break will dissipate in 2-3 months and then there will be no outward sign of the break.  The other good thing is that he broke it in 2011, and not 40-60 years ago!  The nurse who checked him in told me this AWFUL story about how she broke hers about 60 years ago and how for 6 weeks straight she was TAPED in a figure eight on her body (to mobilize it) and she STILL remembers the Dr. ripping the tape (and her skin) off and then retaping her every few days.  I just want Aidan to know how fortunate he is that medicine and understanding of the body has advanced!  I will take him whining about the sling (which he only did the first day or two) over ripping tape off of my kids body for 6 weeks ANY TIME! :)
A local junk yard has "Tow-Mater'd" an old tow truck.  It was way cool (A, B, G)