Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Kids Make Me Laugh

On the first night Curt was gone for his Visit Day in Iowa I went in to check on the boys before I went to bed. I open the door and nearly TRIP over Aidan laying on the floor in the fetus position at the edge of the rug. I have NO IDEA why he was there (i'm glad i was going slowly) but it reminded me of the nap time about 2 weeks ago when in the middle of the nap I hear him cry for me. I go and see what is up and he is on the changing table with his paci, and rabbits and is saying "I want down!" I pick him up from the changing table and as I turn to put him back in bed I see Brady and Gavin have these GRINS on their faces watching us. I ask Aidan what the matter is, and he says "They put me up there!" What I'm guessing he ACTUALLY meant was "They put me up to this!"(he is the only one who hasn't quite figured out how to climb DOWN from the changing table). So I tell him it's time to go back to napping and then I give B&G my "mean mom" look and tell them they need to fall asleep themselves. But I must admit, I was DYING to laugh out loud!

The boys like their swim caps . . . (BAG) I love how Aidan made it a legionnaire's hat . .. 
A couple of nights into Curt's US visit, Brady woke up itchy in the middle of the night. Aidan then says he needs to go pee, so I tell him to go while I lotion Brady up. I hear him go in the bathroom, close the door, AND LOCK IT. At 2 AM. awesome. I finish with Brady and wait in the hallway for a few minutes. It's pretty quiet so I figure he has fallen asleep and i'm going to have to break in the bathroom. As I'm heading to my room to look for a coin to jimmy the lock, I start to hear him move around and then BAM! Fall off of the stool they use to get up and down from the toilet! He of course is crying, I run back without anything useful, Brady is saying "Mom, what's wrong with Aidan?". I tell him he needs to unlock the door for me if he can (he's really into privacy these days, but this was the first time he had locked the door on me!) and thankfully he does. The poor kid is standing there with his PJs and undies off, crying and holding the back of his head. I am guessing he had fallen asleep on the pot, woken up (sort of) and tried to get down without being fully awake. Poor Kid. Now, for those of you who thought it was weird he was wearing a helmet on the pot a few posts ago - now you know it's a necessity in our house! ;)

More Singing Sand Dunes pics - GAB - yes, they are that steep
Gavin makes his way down . . .
The kids snack as they fight off flies (B, Alexandra, Johanna, A, G)
This morning when I dropped the boys at their Arabic class, Mrs. Reem (language teacher) stops me and says, "I must tell you, your boy (Brady) is so SENSITIVE! He is always trying to corral his brothers and is always looking out for them and making sure they are OK. Even when we are singing, he is looking around for them and making sure they are nearby. I almost NEVER see this sort of care with kids this age." I tell her thank you and that pretty much reflects what we see at home (I don't tell her he is also the first to make his brothers cry other times), because it is true. She was like "Really? He is like this at home too? That is wonderful, it is so touching to see." Makes Mom's heart beat a little bit bigger :)

And dear, sweet Gavin. The morning Curt and I were talking about making an offer on the IC house, Gavin was up first (surprise, surprise). I love that he totally gets that if he's quiet he can come and have some one on one time with me/us until it's time to get his brothers up. He came in to sit on my lap while Curt and Larry and I talked and the pics of the house were on the screen. I ask him, "Do you think YOU would like to live in that house?" and he says softly "Yeah." and then he goes "CEILING FAN!" like that was the only thing worth noticing. Lucky for him there are at least two in the house .. .  maybe more. :) I think Grandpa K created a monster turning on the fans and lights for him when we were there last summer . . . we will send him a 10% charge for our electric bill. ;)

This afternoon when I go in to get the boys up from their nap, this is what I see . . . I think Aidan misses dad . . . A lot.
ABG

A & B