Sunday, September 9, 2012

Happy Fourth Birthday!!!!!!

At Lincoln Park in Chicago over Labor Day weekend (AGB) - the Hawks were playing in Chicago that weekend, so we had to represent.
Who can believe that our little boys are four years old today? And they are not so little any more. We had a weigh in for their birthday and Gavin rings in at 39.2 lbs and 3ft 3.5 inches high; Brady at 37.8 lbs and 3ft 4.2 inches high ; and Aidan at 32.8 lbs and 3ft 2.6 inches high. We started off the birthday celebration by bringing cupcakes to school on Friday to share with their classmates. I think it went over well. :)

Brady with Ms. Jenna - he could barely hold still!
Gavin was the first student to sit down to wait for the cupcakes to be handed out. Eager, anyone?
How adorable is Aidan in his work shirt he chose just for the "birthday celebration at school" occasion?
The last time boys have to wait in line for the bathroom - preschool (Brady).
After nap that day, we headed to downtown to get dad after class and to attempt to see President Obama on the Pentacrest. After that we tried to avoid the Presidential motorcade (poorly) and headed to Des Moines to celebrate with the Des Moines family.

Brady and Aidan with Dad at Obama Rally on Pentacrest
Aidan and Mom at rally
Dad and Gavin at rally
We were so blessed to have the Carroll's, cousins Kathy Jo and Katie and Cousins Julie, Shelly and Jadyn over for a party, BBQ and CAKE! This year we made a train and the boys practically demolished it before we were even able to cut pieces for people. It was awesome.
Gavin camps out in the tree-perfect
Aidan wants in on the fun!
All three (AGB) were dancing around saying "it's a PAAAARRRTY! We're having a PAAARRRTY!"
The bday cake! I was so nervous about something happening to it I took this right after we finished that night. And had crazy dreams the boys were trying to get into it before the party!
Gavin and Grandma K have fun with hats
GBA - Happy Birthday! They were so patient to wait until all of the candles were lit!
They were so earnest about trying to get those candles out and trying not to get burned. It was pretty cute!
AND . . . digging in.
Umm, boys? There is supposed to be enough to share with all of the guests. Boys?
This morning we had an easy wake up and the boys got to open presents from others in the family who weren't able to be there for the party. They got mom and dad's gift (KILLER TRAINS THEY CAN DRIVE!!!) and we did some tree climbing, cuddling and all around enjoying our four year old boys.
Angry Birds RULE! (ABG)
I truly thought I was out of the picture . .boo. Well, we love our new jackets and cars Grandma and Grandpa V and Aunt Pam and Uncle Tony!

Who the boys are today:

Aidan was a Santa Rock Star
Aidan:

You are so even-keeled in your day to day adventures. You are sneaky and love playing tricks on people, you have creative ideas for hiding during hide and seek, you eat any thing and every thing it seems. You are concerned with justice and people treating one another well, though sometimes you "try out" being a little tougher and naughtier than you actually are. You love to sing and make up your own lyrics to your own tunes (who can forget "Garbage men who sing! I'm a garbage man who sings!" or "I love my reindeer, Santa loves his reindeer!"?) You have started asking to give us a hug and kiss, and are often telling me "I love daddy so much. I am going to hug and kiss him when I see him". You LOVE wearing work shirts, especially to school and you are often the first student to help cleaning up according to your teachers (and what we see at home). You are a FISH in water and are so excited to take swim lessons this fall you have told me you want to sleep underwater. You love being naked and singing silly songs about your body parts with your brothers - you can get them going like no one else! You are also missing our Doha friends fiercely these days. I know that moves are hard, and i'm sure you are getting sick of only playing with your brothers. I promise to work to reach out to other parents and have some play dates with other children soon. VERY soon. (It's just hard for me sometimes!) :) And of course keep in touch with our Doha friends as well.
Birthday Cupcakes are the BOMB! (Brady)
Brady:
You really do put things together I would NEVER expect for a child your age. You can tell when you have told a joke - a REAL joke and you like being able to make people laugh with you. You are Sensitive - Capital S Sensitive - and while you seek attention, you only want to be the center of it if it is something you have initiated. You enjoy setting the scene for how you want to play with people, often telling us what to say so that you can give the response you want to give. You are incredibly loving with everyone in our family - if anyone is hurt you are the first to offer to bring us something or give a hug and kiss (if you weren't the perpetrator, that is). When you do find yourself in a time out, I am always positively struck by how much you have thought about what just happened. While you still react physically at times, your need to understand your world is so great that you are already working out ways to change the situation for a different outcome. You remind me I need to hold my temper more. You have more questions than I will ever know to answer and I promise to try and answer them all. I really do promise. :) You love figuring out how to use your body for athletics - soccer, baseball/tee ball, jumping, etc. And you are GOOD at it. You also tell me often how much you love each person in our family. Several times recently you have asked Daddy or I if we would snuggle with you on the couch after dinner. Who can resist that?! While you miss our Doha friends, you seem content to know that we can talk to them whenever we want, we just have to plan for it. I hope to be able to foster close family friendships like we did in Doha for you and your brothers.

Gavin the "old man!" (that's a car in his mouth)
Gavin:
You are a powerhouse of emotion and strength wrapped into the most muscular body I have ever seen in a preschooler. You are quite particular these days about where you want to sit, when you want to go downstairs, who you want to play with you, what you want to play with or eat or not eat and you have become very good at EXPRESSING those emotions. You still love music and know the words to so many songs it is mind boggling for someone like myself who seems to have no musical abilities. Letters and numbers are your thing and it is only a matter of time before you are reading, I am certain of it. Your laugh is so belly-achingly delightful. You have become fascinated with climbing trees and got yourself a little does of it at Grandparents this weekend - I think you may be hooked! You LOVE the train set the Carroll's gave us. Capital L Love. You also ask now and again for me to hold you and carry you like a baby and you just like the closeness and snuggling. You are drawn to animals and they are drawn to you. When we see someone walking their dog, Aidan may be the first to yell "Hey, can i pet your dog?" but you are the first to say to the dog "Kiss me!" and get down at muzzle level for a big sloppy kiss. We went to the Des Moines zoo several weeks ago and they had an exhibit where one could feed budgies (little parakeets). Several people told us they were not going in to feed the birds, and I didn't get why until we went in and the birds SWARMED us. Like St. Mark's Basilica in Venice Pigeon Swarm. Brady and Aidan and myself were NOT cool with it (but i tried to put on a brave face!) but you just seemed so calm and taken with the birds as they landed two and three on your arm and hat and hand and the feeding stick. And you had no compunction about shaking them off when they got annoying to you. I can see your fascination and love of animals very clearly.

Daddy horsey rides are the best! (GAB)

A little fun at Lincoln Park Zoo - GAB (head covered)

Hey, that looks like fun - me too! (AB)
Gavin enjoyed their hot dogs. Very much.
Public Transportation is awesome! We love the CTA! (AGB)
As the boys grow older, I am starting to realize I'm not necessarily wanting another child, but that i want THEM again. I feel like so much of their baby and toddlerhood was lost in the day-to-day job of staying alive that I miss their squirmy adorable selves as they were eating from bottles and the middle of the night wake-ups and the baths and the first solid feedings and their first mobility milestones and early talking. In my less sleep deprived days I long to re-experience all of those stages again, but slowed down a half-turn or two.

Aidan - because this is who this child is. When no one is paying attention, he is wearing these glasses on the back of his head. Wonderful.
The other day after nap, Brady was the first one awake and Aidan and Gavin were still laying in bed waking up slowly. I had crawled in with Aidan after I snuggled Gavin and Brady gets up and says as he lays down on Aidan "Do you want me to snuggle you Aidan?" and Aidan nods yes, so Brady does for a few minutes. They begin to giggle and sort of paw at each other, their precious faces that perfect peachy cream color. Then Brady turns to Gavin's bed and says "Gavin, do you want me to snuggle you?" and Gavin nods yes, so Brady lays down on him as well. They too begin to giggle and tickle a little bit, but very low key. Just laughing and smiling at one another. My immediate thought was (after watching the Democratic Convention and all of the family shots of the Obama's) that I would KILL to have a family photographer who just followed us around and got shots of the times like these. The light just so, their faces so full of love and joy, the up close shots i can never seem to get without them noticing and then playing to the camera instead of doing what they were doing. I really do try and take mental shots of these moments and hope my squirrely brain will store these memories away so that it is easy to find them in the future.
Gavin did not want to take his new jacket off, even after he was sweaty (GBA)
Happy Fourth Birthday to three of the sweetest, most amazing children in my life. May we have many more to celebrate together!