Actually, today I have really taken some time to reflect on the last 8+ months (ok, the last year with the pregnancy) and it has brought both smiles and tears. I can't believe how lucky I am - i really do feel like i won the lottery. Even though i loved being pregnant and am sometimes (just a little) jealous of friends who get to be pregnant more than once, i also feel like we got pretty lucky. the boys get to have siblings, but we don't have to go through the sleepless nights more than once; i loved nursing, but i like not having to check the clock to make sure my chest doesn't explode from the pressure if we want to go to the mall (not that we actually get to go to the mall that often, but you get my drift); with all of the demands on our time, i really do feel like curt and i are a TEAM. Team Mom and Dad and sometimes we just get by without breaking down and arguing or wanting to cry but usually we ROCK at it (more often the latter). :)
The other night I was making prunes for the boys (damn unpitted prunes) and after having stewed them FOREVER i then had to remove the pits. Did you know prune flesh stays really hot for a really long time??? the blistered fingers are just one more piece of proof of how much i love these kids. and I was thinking as i listened to WPR archives while i de-pitted how I feel like my heart has grown to accommodate these children more than i expected it could. When I was a kid i didn't think i could love my parents any more than i did, then they got me a cat. :) then i didn't think i could love anything more than my cat, then i found a best friend. then I didn't think i could love anyone more than my best friend, then i found Curt. I KNEW i couldn't love anyone more than I love curt, and then these babies stormed into our life and took no prisoners. Their laughter just gives me chills, their crying makes me sad (OK, and sometimes I laugh because I know they are just whining) and their wriggling, warm little bodies are just heaven. And I feel so lucky to have gotten to be with them every day of their lives. I feel like I will know them best and I don't know them at all - they are constantly surprising us with their personalities and how they are beginning to interact with one another, how much they love asparagus and don't seem to know what to do with cottage cheese. they LOVE their security blankets and they love to throw their pacifiers on the floor every morning. (sigh) Happy Mother's Day! :) on to some fun, recent pictures:
Brady living it up
Aidan can't wait to see the Cubbies play!
Gavin likes his picture book!