Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Table Edge:1, Aidan:0

Well, this is one of those days where I count reason number 452 as to why i'm happy about being a SAHM in 3 weeks (from today BTW).  SO, after a LONG ASS week of work (including 1 trip to the ER for brady - no stitches in his lip, but a nasty cut and a follow up with a dentist, curt taking 2 trips to try to get his Qatari ID replaced after he lost it, 2 vaccinations for each the 3 boys (BTW it SUCKS to have to hold people still for 6 shots) and trying to wind up the last 4 years of work so I can leave with a clear conscience) we didn't have ANYTHING for dinner.  Sure, we could have probably done pasta and red sauce, but that jsut didn't sound good.  So we decide to play it loose and drive to mega mart to see if we could get the "good" fish sticks LuLu has quit carrying.  TH eboys were in a great mood, helping out with the shopping and we hit the mother load on fish sticks.

Of course they take awhile to cook, so while I was cutting up watermelon and curt was readying gavn's breathign treatment, they were getting squirrely.  Curt sees that Gavin has DRENCHED his t-shirt by drinkign water and then spitting it on himself, but did not notice that it was also on the tile floor by the couch.  Brady and Aidan had begun chasing each other around the room with oven mitts and I thought to myself, "Maybe we should just put them in their chairs and get the veggies and watermelon for them to start eating since we still have another 10 minutes."  But i didn't.  Curt began gavin's breathing treatment and the next thing I know i hear THE CRY.  Curt calls me in as I am already halfway out of the kitchen to see Aidan laying completely still on the ground, having slipped on the water Gavin had spit on the floor.  OUCH on the back of the head.  Then I see he is bleeding from JUST below his left eye (where he had hit the corner of the coffee table on the way down) and I kind of freak out. 

Long story short, I am entirely short tempered with Brady who is yelling things like "He's not bleeding!" (just after I say to Curt "He's bleeding near his eye") or "He doesn't want to lay there!" (as I lay him on the couch). We are applying pressure and after a minute or so has gone by i check it and see that it is pretty deep and is almost 100% likely in need of stitches.  Because i'm becoming a little unglued, Curt offers to take him to the ER, and I let him.  Brady is VERY sad to see dad and Aidan go and it only takes about 20 minutes for him to settle down.  The 3 of us have some dinner (though no one is really in the mood) and talk about what happened.  Curt calls about a half hour later and shares that Aidan got stitches.  WE talk with him on speaker phone with Brady sweetly repeating "I love you Aidan! I hope you feel better Aidan!, etc" and Gavin dancing around in the background with his shirt off (b/c it was soaked).

I get the boys up to bed and they are being SOOO good!  B/c gavin's breathing treatment was interrupted, once he is in PJs i have him wear the nebulizer while he reads a book and I change Brady.  Then we read a couple of books and when I ask "Are you boys ready for bed?" Brady says, "Yes." with a sigh.  Off to bed they go and they are SACKED Out by the tiem Aidan and dad get home.  Aidan eats a decent dinner and then gets to bed nearly 2 hours after bed time. Curt and I feel like we have been through the ringer.  In my mind, were we not BOTH so completely exhausted with work, we would have had plans for dinner at the usual time and the boys wouldn't have been trying to entertain themselves leading to the slip and slide of death . . . Of course, there are lots of what if's and if only's when stuff like this happens.  I'm sure there will be pictures to follow this post once we get the bandage off . . .