OK. So Curt and I had a mirror held up to us this weekend and we recognize we REALLY need to watch our language. I know I have probably mentioned that the driver's here in Doha are RIDICULOUS, and from time to time they really get under our skin (understatement of the year) when they do things like: turn left from the far right lane, don't let people merge, cut people off all the way up to the line at the round about, drive far faster than necessary or they have the skills for, ride your bumper, flash their lights for you to get over when there is nowhere for you to go, and so on . . .
On Saturday morning Curt was in the kitchen, and the boys were playing and just doing whatever in the play area. I was clearing the table and I hear Brady saying something (over and over again) that vaguely sounds like "F&*^ing Idiot". I look to see he is sitting inside one of the drawers that stores toys and i walk over and say "Hey Brady, whatcha doing?" and he says "Driving a car." I about DIED. He proceeds to say it a few more times - with EXACTLY the right amount of anger and under his breath tone that we may or may not have used from time to time :). I say, "are you talking about those CRAZY DRIVERS?!" trying DESPERATELY to sink something else in his sharp little brain. and he says "yes". I then walk in the kitchen to tell Curt what has happened. we both have a look of dread on our faces as we can still hear him saying it (again, still under his breath) over and over in the other room. Trying not to bring too much attention to it, but still trying to implant other phrases, I head back in the play area for some re-training. :)
So tonight, we go to get the boys haircuts in the mall. They are all being VERY good so Curt would take two of them to play and walk around while I would stay with whomever was getting cut. Curt asks me when we are in the car on the way home if Brady had shown me his favorite car to "ride" in in the toy store when I had gone in with him. I say "yes, the red one" (like a ferrari for kids). Then Curt says "Did you hear what he was saying while he was 'driving' it?" My eyes must have been as big as saucers because since the weekend we have BOTH been sure to keep it clean 100%. So yes, apparently he associates driving with what has been an oft used phrase by Curt or I. OUCH. Kids truly do reflect your best and worst don't they?
You can probably guess that Curt and I debated over whether to share this story or not in this venue. I said it was 1) the truth and 2) maybe we needed some additional public shaming to make sure we clean it up around the kids. Curt sort of felt like it might be truthful, but the painful kind. I still really feel like this blog is more for me and the boys eventually than anything else, so I figure when they get old enough to read it and understand, they will have a good laugh at mom and dad's expense. :)
In other news we have made the switch to the big boy beds! Friday morning the boys found that we had put them together in the guest room and were SO EXCITED they wanted them in their rooms with all of the beds made up RIGHT THEN! So before breakfast we move the beds into their room with the cribs still in place and the beds next to the cribs. They practiced laying in them and checking out the new sheets and covers and are SO PUMPED. We also got a clock for their room with numbers so we could give them clues about when they are allowed to get out of bed, etc. For nap time, all went down and were SO EXCITED to be in big boy beds. We had told them if they didn't stay in the beds we would have to put them back in their cribs to sleep and after Aidan made himself known to be running around the room after an hour, that is just what happened. Curt gave him a warning and 5 minutes later he was up and running around again. Curt goes in and plops him in his crib and he proceeds to CRY. He eventually falls asleep and Brady and Gavin DO NOT BUDGE from their beds. :) They do a great job for that nap, for bed time and even getting up in the mornings - we can hear them chattering but not running around until we go in at 630. Until this morning.
Gavin had been singing by 550 AM, but otherwise was pretty quiet. When my alarm wet off at 615AM i thought i heard pounding little feet (when they are hobbit feet, that's just what it sounds like). I crack their door to see Gavin IN bed with Aidan and they are just giggling like crazy. Brady is still in his bed like a good boy. I open the door wider and give the meanest face I can even though my heart is just MELTING at the sight of these boys, I point at Gavin, then point at his bed. He slowly gets out of Aidan's bed and then jumps in his bed. 15 mins later, I go back in to get them up and Gavin is still laying in bed with his feet hanging over the edge and Aidan and Brady have also stayed in bed. So hysterical. :) We did hear that Gavin and Aidan had to be put back in cribs for nap today. Hopefully we can get the good habits to sink in this week - there is a woman here who is having twins in early July and she plans to buy them! :) YEAH!